Skip Navigation

<< return to list

Singleness and Abortion

According to many studies, young people are delaying marriage, or planning to not marry at all, in greater numbers.  A report issued in 2014 by the Pew Research Institute showed, “the share of American adults who have never been married is at an historic high.” Studies by the organization in 2012 indicated that one in five adults aged 25 and older had never been married.

The findings also suggested that American adults are marrying later in life as well as an increased number of young people living together unmarried and raising children outside of marriage. The average age of first marriage for men was 29 and 27 for women.

This trend in the United States paralleled findings in Great Britain. In 2014, nearly 34 percent of people living in that country were not or never had been married.

An article published online via Bentley University states, “Public disenchantment with marriage is reflected in national surveys. Half of American adults believe society is just as well off if people have priorities other than marriage and children, according to the recent Pew report. And opinions on this issue differ sharply by age — with young adults much more likely than older adults to say society is just as well off if people have priorities other than marriage and children. Fully two-thirds of those ages 18 to 29 (67 percent) express this viewpoint, as do 53 percent of those ages 30 to 49.”

Singleness, Childbirth, and Abortion

Data from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) showed the percentage of births to unmarried American women in 2015 was more than 40 percent.

The Guttmacher Institute found that the majority of women seeking an abortion were in their twenties (60 percent), while the next largest demographic were in their 30s (25 percent) – a total of 85 percent. Many of the women had already given birth to one child.

At True Care, the average age of our patients is 24. For most, this is their first child, however, some do come to see us after already having a child. Some of those women are considering abortion; that’s why we have the Baby & Me Too program, to help women cope with an additional pregnancy either soon after the birth of their first child or if it’s been many years since they had a baby. This important program helps women understand “yes, I can do this again,” providing them with support, encouragement, knowledge, and tangible resources to assist them carry their new pregnancy to term.

Also at True Care, the majority of our patients (90+ percent) are single. Some are cohabitating with their boyfriends, some are not.

According to the Guttmacher Institute, nearly half of abortion patients were single and not cohabitating. However, the organization’s report also states, “nearly half were living with a male partner in the month they became pregnant, including 14% who were married and 31% who were cohabiting.”

What Does the Future Hold?

Where will the future lead? True Care is trying to make an impact on the youth and young people of Casper. Our parenting and sexual integrity programs inform our patients about the value of marriage, the value of family, the value of two parents raising children, and the value of choosing the right intimate and marriage partner. However, home is where this conversation should start and be a priority. When children and young people are exposed to fighting parents, spouses who easily divorce, parents who live (unmarried) with others, they witness the de-valuing of family. We all can make a positive, strong impact upon our children and grandchildren regarding the virtues of marriage, helping stem the tide of singleness and abortion.

As Harry Benson, research director of the Marriage Foundation recently stated, “If we want more of our young two-parent families to succeed as couples, the older generations have got a lot of encouraging to do.”

Tags: never married, millennials, abortion and singleness, not married

<< return to list